CALL US! (310) 421-9970

Monthly Archives: December 2008

Barkeepers beware: Providence pub must pay the piper (ASCAP / BMI / SESAC)

You'd think business owners would have gotten the word about music licenses by now, wouldn't you?   The Providence Journal reported last Sunday about a barkeeper who's been running his place for 16 years, featuring live and recorded music, and never thought about paying for the music that helps draw a crowd into the venue… Providence pub must pay the piper, musicians say [Providence Journal]

This is another object lesson for any small business owner who plans to play music (live or recorded) on the premises. Sure, there are some very limited exceptions (consult your entertainment lawyer for details) in the law, but the general rule is, if you use music, you need to obtain licenses from the performing rights organizations.

Find us on Google+